Out there in the darkness, I thought I would be lost forever... but once my eyes adjusted, I found, much to my surprise, that within this darkness, I had discovered hope.

HomeHome  IntroductionIntroduction  Join our DiscordJoin our Discord  Live ChatLive Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  MemberlistMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Greetings fellow Sith

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cognus
Saber
Saber

PostSubject: Greetings fellow Sith   Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:25 pm

Just want to say hello to everyone first of all. I enjoyed the readings in The Great Holocron. Really resonated with me. I know this site doesnt appear to be that active, but I hope to learn as much as possible and continue to grow as a Sith.

I've been a Sith, I would say my whole life. Just took me a few years to realize it. I grew up in a Christian family, but it never really spoke to me in any form. I've also spent time researching other "religious" views and trying to see if I fit into them, with no avail. I even spent some time in the Temple of the Jedi Order.

One last thing, is about the "Darth" title reference. To be completely honest, the "Sith" itself was coined, copyrighted if you will, by George Lucas. So, if using the term Sith is viable, I dont see why using the term Darth wouldn't be as well. Unless I just misread that portion of the Welcome message wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amara_Jaiyana
Saber
Saber

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:20 am

Hello Blackbeard!

The Grand Holocron is a lot of fun to go through. Which part stands out for you?

I personally tend to lean fairly Buddhist and enjoy comparing and contrasting it with what I'm learning here and in my light studies. I'm not really sure where I fall -somewhere gray? Lol, I dunno. But what I'm getting at is that it doesn't matter. You're welcome here to learn and disagree and challenge all you like. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cognus
Saber
Saber

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:29 am

Amara_Jaiyana wrote:
Hello Blackbeard!

The Grand Holocron is a lot of fun to go through. Which part stands out for you?

I personally tend to lean fairly Buddhist and enjoy comparing and contrasting it with what I'm learning here and in my light studies. I'm not really sure where I fall -somewhere gray? Lol, I dunno. But what I'm getting at is that it doesn't matter. You're welcome here to learn and disagree and challenge all you like. Smile

Hey, thanks.

I really enjoyed the ideology really. From the break down of the code, to the 7 principles to live your life through. Really how I try to live my life as is. Its just great to find a place like this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Vindicus
Lord
Lord

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Reaper wrote:
One last thing, is about the "Darth" title reference. To be completely honest, the "Sith" itself was coined, copyrighted if you will, by George Lucas. So, if using the term Sith is viable, I dont see why using the term Darth wouldn't be as well. Unless I just misread that portion of the Welcome message wrong.

Sith as a term comes from a few origins, such as the Old English/Gaelic Sidhe, which respectively translates as "journeyer" or (in Gaelic) refers to the Fair Folk or Fairies in mythology; it also could come from the Hindu Siddha, which refers to one who has reached spiritual enlightenment. The term Sith is not actually exclusively Lucas', though Jedi arguably is as he adapted it from various sources to be unique unto itself; the same is true of "Darth", being another adapted Star Wars term. While we are inspired by Lucas' Sith, passion is found as far back in human history and spirituality as far as you can go, as is the use of the other three major points in the code, strength, power, and victory (don't get me started on breaking the chains lol). In this case we fall in the realm of copyright law which allows the use of another's work as inspiration.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://houseveritas.wordpress.com
Cognus
Saber
Saber

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Lord Vindicus wrote:
Sith as a term comes from a few origins, such as the Old English/Gaelic Sidhe, which respectively translates as "journeyer" or (in Gaelic) refers to the Fair Folk or Fairies in mythology; it also could come from the Hindu Siddha, which refers to one who has reached spiritual enlightenment.  The term Sith is not actually exclusively Lucas', though Jedi arguably is as he adapted it from various sources to be unique unto itself; the same is true of "Darth", being another adapted Star Wars term.  While we are inspired by Lucas' Sith, passion is found as far back in human history and spirituality as far as you can go, as is the use of the other three major points in the code, strength, power, and victory (don't get me started on breaking the chains lol).  In this case we fall in the realm of copyright law which allows the use of another's work as inspiration.

I actually looked that up a couple days ago and found that information about the origins of "Sith". I didn't know that when I originally made my post however. I did also look up whether or not "Darth" itself was copyrighted and found no evidence to claim it was.

I was just merely making an observation about my insights to the topic. Claiming the title was a ceremonial undertaking, rite of passage if you will, for the Sith. Just my thoughts is all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Vindicus
Lord
Lord

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:03 pm

No, Lucas may not have copywritten the terms at all. But given the exclusivity of Darth, we adapted some things with copyright in mind, which at the least shows respect to the work. But they are good observations to have.
Back to top Go down
Cognus
Saber
Saber

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Lord Vindicus wrote:
No, Lucas may not have copywritten the terms at all.  But given the exclusivity of Darth, we adapted some things with copyright in mind, which at the least shows respect to the work.  But they are good observations to have.

Fair enough. I understand completely what you're saying and the point behind it. Even still though, I feel there should be some process of ceremonial ascension. To show others the devotion and dedication given to the Dark Side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Vindicus
Lord
Lord

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:59 am

What would you have in mind for ceremonial ascension?
Back to top Go down
Cognus
Saber
Saber

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:03 pm

Lord Vindicus wrote:
What would you have in mind for ceremonial ascension?

That's a very good question. One way could be the use of a title that is created by this Order. Similar to Darth, in the meaning that it declares one a master of the Dark side. I hadn't really given it much thought to be honest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Vindicus
Lord
Lord

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Hmm...well "Count" was agreed on by myself and Lord Sanguinus as a viable historically supported title which generally indicated something of a "self-made man". Not really a created term, but it has the advantage of being something that people can relate to without much research. Lord is similar in that approach.
Back to top Go down
Cognus
Saber
Saber

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Lord Vindicus wrote:
Hmm...well "Count" was agreed on by myself and Lord Sanguinus as a viable historically supported title which generally indicated something of a "self-made man".  Not really a created term, but it has the advantage of being something that people can relate to without much research.  Lord is similar in that approach.

Understandable. If you do some research on the history of Darth, which I'm sure you probably have. The title was taken to claim superiority and was a higher "rank" then Lord even. That is all fiction however.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Vindicus
Lord
Lord

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:33 pm

True. Perhaps in time we'll use a similar idea.
Back to top Go down
Cognus
Saber
Saber

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:49 pm

Lord Vindicus wrote:
True.  Perhaps in time we'll use a similar idea.

Understandable
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Sith   

Back to top Go down

Greetings fellow Sith
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1